Button Snowflake Cushion - PFAFF free sewing pattern
Many of us dream of snow during the Holidays. Since not everyone gets to live their dream a beautiful snowflake cushion could be the perfect substitute.
Make a beautiful Button Snowflake Cushion PFAFF free sewing pattern
Do you have a lot of old buttons lying around? This is the perfect easy sewing project for you! Gather your buttons and some wool fabric and create a beautiful snowflake cushion with your PFAFF sewing machine. Two free snowflake templates for different button sizes are available to download. You can search for patterns and inspiration everywhere. Remember, no two snowflakes are the same.
To sew a beautiful Button Snowflake Cushion you will need:
- PFAFF® sewing machine
- Wool fabric 1pc 18”x18” (45x45cm), 2pcs 9”x18” (23x45cm)
- Piping in a color to match your fabric 2⅛ yds (2m)
- Rayon embroidery thread to attach buttons
- Sewing Thread
- Invisible zipper 18” (45cm)
- Marking Pen
- Sew-on-button Foot (Item no. 820473096)
- Invisible Zipper Foot (Item no. 820474096)
- Piping Foot (Item no. 820532096)
Cut and Attach the Buttons
Cut out the front piece. Use the marking pen to draw lines where you want the snowflake.
Two snowflake templates are available as downloads. The templates show how you can arrange different sized buttons to create a snowflake. If using the button sizes recommended the final snowflake will measure approximately 12”x12” (30x30cm).
Snap-on the Sew-on Button Foot. Start in the center of the front piece and attach the buttons on the marked lines.
When the button snowflake is done, prepare the back of the pillow.
Back of Cushion –
Invisible Zipper – First Side
- Open the zipper. Place the right edge of the zipper tape on one of the back fabric pieces, right sides together. Snap-on the Invisible Zipper Foot.
- Sew the first part of the zipper by placing the presser foot with the left groove over the zipper coils. Backstitch and sew along the zipper.
Invisible Zipper – Second Side
- Sew the second part of the zipper to the other back piece by placing the left edge of the zipper tape, right sides together with the left side of the fabric.
- Place the presser foot with the right groove over the zipper coils. Backstitch and sew along the zipper.
- Close the zipper and the back piece of the pillow is done.
Use piping to give your cushion a professional finish.
- Place the front piece right side up. Pin the piping along the fabric edge. Overlap the piping to finish off at the end. Snap-on the Piping Foot. Stitch in place using a straight stitch.
Clip the seam allowance of the piping in the corners, for smoother corners after turning.
- Open the zipper (approx. 4”/10cm) and place the back piece right side down on top of the front piece.
Sew the cushion together.
Turn right side out and insert a pillow form.
You might also like:
- INSPIRA® Tear-A-Way Stabilizer
- Sew-On Button Foot