Free Sewing Pattern - 2 in 1 Messenger Bag
In white sturdy canvas, you can create this fresh and cool messenger bag. The design is simple and the bag is sewn in no time.
Free Sewing Pattern - 2 in 1 Messenger Bag
In white sturdy canvas, you can create this fresh and cool messenger bag. The design is simple and the bag is sewn in no time. The exchangeable flap is perfect if you want to make several different designs – one for every occasion.
Cut Out All Pieces
Cut out the pieces for the bag according to the measurements in the illustration below. All seam allowances are included in the measurements (sew together using the presser foot width as seam allowance).
A, C, D - Heavy canvas fabric
B. - Fabric for lining
E, F - Leather (or faux leather) in two colors (templates are available as downloads)
G, H - Tear-a-way stabilizer
I. - Snaps (size 13mm), 9 are used for this bag, if you’re making several flaps, you need more buttons.
Bag and Lining
1. Place the back piece of the bag (A in the cutting scheme) with the right side up. Place the front piece (A in the cutting scheme) on top, right sides together. Sew the long sides and the bottom together. Press.
Form the bottom by sewing the last two seams. Press and turn right side out.
2. Place the fabric pieces for the lining (B in the cutting scheme) right sides together. Sew the side and bottom seams. Leave an opening in the bottom seam (approx. 5” (13cm). Press the seams open.
3. Take the two long fabric strips (D in the cutting scheme) and place them right sides together. Sew around three sides, leaving one of the short ends open. Press. Turn right side out, stitch the opening closed and press. Topstitch around the edges.
4. Position shoulder strap on the side seam of outer bag, approximately 2" (5cm) from the top as illustrated below. Stitch the shoulder strap to the bag on both sides using a reinforced straight stitch.
Assemble the Bag
5. Place the outer bag inside the lining with right sides together. Stitch the bag and lining together.
Press the seam. Turn right side out.
Stitch the opening in the lining closed.
Topstitch around the top of the bag.
Decorate and Sew the Flap Lid
6. Place tear-a-way stabilizer behind the leather circles (E in the cutting scheme). Use a straight stitch to sew circular patterns on the circles.
Repeat with the purple half circles (F in the cutting scheme).
Remove the excess stabilizer.
Tip: When sewing leather or vinyl, it is a helpful to use a non-stick presser foot. Due to the special coating on the bottom of this foot, it‘s perfect for sewing hard-to-feed fabrics, like leather, foam, plastic, imitation leather and plastic-coated fabrics. Check out pfaff.com to find the item number for the non-stick foot suitable for your machine.
7. Take the decorated half circles, place them right sides together and sew.Finger press the seam open.
8. Use a marking pen to mark where on the flap (C in the cutting scheme) you want the circles. In the illustration below, you can see the measurements we have used. Place the leather circles on the markings and stitch to the flap using a straight stitch.
Sew the Flap
9. Place the two pieces of the flap (C in the cutting scheme) right sides together. Sew together, but leave an opening in the upper edge for turning. Press the seams and turn right sides out. Stitch the opening closed. Topstitch around the flap.
Install the Snaps
10. The flap is attached to the bag with snaps so that it can easily be removed and replaced with another flap. Snaps should be evenly spaced along the upper edge of the flap. Our measurements are shown in the illustration below. We used 9 snaps, install them following the instructions included in the package.
11. Use the same measurements to install the second half of the snap on the bag. See illustration below.
Now, snap the flap to the bag and you’re ready to go.
Make several flaps in different styles and just change whenever you like. Use an embroidery design as in the sample below or make a beautiful appliqué. Or, go crazy with decorative stitches or patchwork. The possibilities are as numerous as your imagination!
Download 2 in 1 Messenger Bag Free Sewing Pattern
You might also like:
- creative™ Master Hoop
- Non-Stick Foot for IDT™ System
- Circular Attachment